A graduated from Tuskegee University, Alonzo has over 10 years’ experience of working with educators, students, parents and community leaders with understanding the impact and influence of 21st Century Technology. As head of VLI’s TECH 21 Team, Alonzo organizes and develops common core-aligned tips, tools and techniques to teachers, administrators, counselors, students and parents for leveraging social media and technology for further competency in 21st Century Learning and Innovation Skills. In addition VLI’s TECH21 Team provides one-to-one professional development sessions for educators, who will learn ways to cultivate and incorporate technology-based learning methods in the classroom.
Alonzo presents: it’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3…
Topic: Integrating 21st Century Technology and Social Media in the Classroom
1. Create An Online Presence
a. Get a Twitter, Facebook, Youtube Google+ and/or Pinterest Account
b. Sign up with a Social-Network, News Aggregation App Account
i. Ex. Flipboard, Pulse, Zite, Summly and/or Slate
c. Follow Educational Hashtags (via Twitter/Facebook)
i. Ex. #edchat, #edtech, #stem, #learning, #education, #edapp
2. Connect to a Professional/Personal Learning Network
a. Join an online community.
b. Read Connected Educators Blogs
c. Start Your Personal Blog
3. Communicate to Students, Staff, Parents and the Community
a. Content – Utilize News Aggregation for information to share with students
b. Consistent – Set a Social Media Calendar for Creating Post
i. Ex. Web Wednesdays, Follow Fridays, Throwback Thursdays
c. Commitment – Operate Social Media Dashboards
i. Hootsuite, Tweetdeck,
1. 7 Steps to Improving Learning Outcomes with Technology-Enabled 1-to-1 Learning http://ow.ly/lwfHG
2. A Teacher’s Guide to Building a Professional Learning Network (PLN)
3. Watch a presentation about personal learning networks, “Building a PLN with Web 2.0 Tools,” by three Apple Distinguished Educators (start viewing at the 12 min. mark).
4. 20 Education Administrator Blogs You Should Start Following Right Now