Dr. James has become a much sought after voice for advocacy and children’s educational rights, as well as teacher training. She is the founder of Focus on Education, Inc., which provides individualized consultation and advocacy services. Through her foundation, Focus on Education Foundation, Inc., students in the Atlanta Public Schools area receive free eye and hearing exams, glasses, hearing aides.
Lori presents: it’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3
· Differentiated instruction
o Provides information, guidelines and recommendations for teachers to develop or enhance their differentiated instruction techniques.
o allows teachers to develop an understanding of differentiation, and help determine which students require assistance.
o provides strategies, interventions and activities for teachers to use or modify to meet the needs of their students.
o provides coaching sessions for individual teachers.
· co-teacher training
o works with co-teacher teams to help develop an effective co-teaching classroom
o provides professional learning opportunities in co-teaching
o classroom observations and feedback
· common core and special education
o helps teachers understand how common core affects the instruction of students with disabilities
o provides recommendations for incorporating common core into special education and co-taught classrooms
· Special Education Resources on the Internet http://www.seriweb.com
· RTI Action Network http://www.rtinetwork.org
· What Works Clearinghouse http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/
· Intervention Central http://www.interventioncentral.org
· National Learning Disabilities Network http://www.ncld.org
· Council for Exceptional Children
· U. S. Department of Education
· Differentiating Reading Instruction Laura Robb
· The Homework Myth Alfie Kohn
· The Struggling Reader Cooper, chard, and Kiger
· Leading and Managing RTI Dr. John McCook
· The Vocabulary-Enriched Classroom Block and Mangieri
· Literacy for Real ReLeah Cossett Lent
· Revisiting Silent Reading Hiebert and Reutzel